Subject: Andrea Bocelli on PBS
From: Mura Kievman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:15:33 -0500

After the various threads on Andrea Bocelli, I thought you'all would be
interested in the following which was posted on Skatefans-l today ... We
get back to the discussion of whether "any" opera serves its purpose if it
brings new fans to opera ... and even though many listers here don't think
of Bocelli as an "opera singer", obviously some people out there do ... Not
saying whether this is good or bad ... I heard a very wee bit of the PBS
concert (maybe 1 minute's worth) and concluded that he wasn't as bad as I'd
been led to believe, but certainly not what *I* would call an opera singer
... and I have no idea how much he was miked here ...

"For those of you in the middle this month's PBS pledge drive or if a
pledge drive  is upcoming, be on the lookout for the Andrea Bocelli
concert.  He is an Italian tenor who sings Time to Say Goodbye along with
Sara Brightman.   He sings both opera and pop in his special.  He sings
Time to Say Goodbye as a solo and later duets with Sara.   He also sings
Nessun Dorma.  I found him very inspirational.

"He is an opera/pop singer, plays the piano, married with a young son,
rides horseback on the family vineyard and in the ocean, speaks English, is
 gorgeous, and is blind.  This program was a wonderful suprise, wished I
had taped it.

"I think there was a separate Sara Brightman special on, but I missed  that."