Subject: Re: Re "Jumping in"
From: Arr1on <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:13:29 EST

Several years ago, I was doing the role of the Marquis in Traviata.  The night
before final dress, the director came to me and told me that she was unhappy
with the Doctor, and she wanted to make a hybridized "Marquis/Doctor"
character, and I was to learn the Doctor.  Hoo-ha.  So I learned the role,
learned the blocking, rethought the role to sing both lines (one right after
the other in one scene), did the dress the next day, and she wasn't pleased
with the staging outcome.  The final result?  I hid behind the large fireplace
set piece in the last act, and the singer playing the Doctor sang with his
too-quiet voice, and I "beefed up" all of his lines.  He got great reviews.
Brady McElligott --Edgewood, NM
"Is it music, or just on purpose?" -N. Rimsky-Korsakov