Subject: What is an Agache?
From: Simon Holledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Mar 1998 02:36:50 +0900

Commenting on his Met subscription on Thu, 19 Mar 1998
 Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>SIMON BOCCANEGRA - Mattila, Domingo, Agache, Scandiuzzi
>What is an Agache?  Seriously, who is he and what is his story?

Alexandru Agache is a Rumanian baritone, apparently from Cluj. He made his
debut as Sharpless in 1979 and became known in Europe during the 1980s
singing the title role of Don Giovanni. He has sung at Covent Garden (in
Ballo, Lucia, Simon Boccanegra, Rigoletto), La Scala (in Lucia, Don Carlo),
Vienna (in Boheme, Lucia) and Paris (in Ballo)  - and in America in Huston
(on Trovatore) and Chicago (in Traviata) .

I heard him sing Amonasro in Tokyo with the Florence Opera in 1996 and was
greatly impressed. He is a towering figure of a man with great energy and
panache - and volume. Recent messages postings have suggested that the Met
is short of good Verdi baritones, so Agache could be very useful.

Simon Holledge, Tokyo 20/3/98