Subject: Aniara - was : Time travel in Opera
From: "Pierre M. Bellemare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Mar 1998 07:38:19 -0500

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Johan Ragnevad wrote:

> I saw one of the Aniara performances when the original production was
> revived in Stockholm 12 years ago. Neither the opera nor the production
> had stood the time well.
> To me the whole piece seemed antiquated and Blomdahl's music rather
> rapsodic. Sadly, the revival featured the original recordings of
> electronic music, dating 1958-9 (?), that probably was revoutionary back
> then but sounded utterly silly already in 1986.
> It was a surprise that the Gothenburg Opera decided to inaugurate their
> new house with Aniara. The reviews were mixed and quite some people
> claim that the house was full only due to everybody wanting to see the
> new opera house on the inside.

There seem to be enough people to believe in that work to go as far as to
produce a complete CD recording of it! (For the benefit of people who
might be interested to listen to the music - if they can find it.)

That recording (a reissue?) came out on the Capriccio label in the early
years of the CD era : 2 CDs - CAP 22016:1/2
Singers : Noel, Anderberg, Saeden, Arvidson, Haugan
Swedish Radio Chorus and Symphony Orchestra. Cond. Westerberg

I don't have that recording and I don't know whether it is still
available - but perhaps it is, because Capriccio, AFIK, has a pretty good
track record at keeping titles in its catalogue. It was still available as
recently as 1993.

Pierre M. Bellemare