Subject: L'Elisir d'Amore at the Met, Mar 18
From: Yacov Kenigsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:05:11 -0500

yes, this production has been talked about but what can I say? I just went
to see it tonite so I finally have something to say about it :)

I happen to love this opera and I also love Ruth Anne Swenson. She was a
fantastic Liu earlier in the Met's season and she was just a good an
Adina. She has a real charisma on stage and had great chemistry in her
duets, especially with Paul Plishka's Dulcamara in Act II.

The best part about her singing though, IMHO, is that the character of
Adina really emerged -- she -sounded- petulant and perky and annoyed and
contrite in all the right places.

And she even hit all those high notes :)

All in all, a very enjoyable evening at the Met.

- yacov
     Brain:     "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
     Pinky:     "Well, I think so, Brain, but I can't memorize
                 a whole opera in Yiddish".