Subject: An unveiling and an invite
From: Daniel Gundlach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:49:26 -0500

Dear Listers,

First of all, thank you to each and every one of you who responded, both
privately and to the list, to my question about the first post-war
Butterfly at the Met.  I am now armed with more than a little knowledge,
which we all know can be a dangerous thing.

Second, I would like to formally introduce myself.  I am a lifelong opera
fan, a particular devotee of Muzio, Lehmann and Callas.  I received my
masters from U of I in Urbana in vocal accompanying and coaching, where I
studied with John Wustman.  I also did the Merola program in SF as a coach.
For a number of years, I pursued that line of work in New York.  Finally,
after
having longed for years to be a singer myself, I took the pluge and became
a countertenor.  In the past five I have sung with some regional opera
companies (Edmonton, Minnesota, Skylight), and as a soloist with various
period instrument groups and choral organizations (Concert Royal, Clarion,
Amor Artis, National Chorale, etc.)  I have also sung in the UK as Oberon
at Broomhill and in European tour with Les Musiciens du Louvre and covered
Xerxes at Chicago Lyric.  I took some time off recently to pursue some
other interests, but found myself missing singing and am thus hopping on
the bandwagon again, this time, I hope, a bit wiser than I was before.

Finally, the invite: I will be performing on the Dame Myra Hess concert
series in Chicago on Wednesday, April 8 at 12:15 PM at the Chicago Cultural
Center (the old public library).  This event will feature songs of Campion,
Faure and Schubert and Di tanti palpiti from Tancredi (for I am a
full-blooded countertenor, after all!)  For those of you who live in the
midwest, come on down and hear it.  Any of you who, for whatever reason,
cannot attend, can hear it live on WFMT-FM (98.7) or, bearing in mind that
this is 12:15 central time, on the WFMT website, www.wfmt.com.

The recital will be repeated informally the following week in New York.
Anyone who wants to come, contact me and I will give you the information
(it's a small hall, so I'd rather do it that way).

I was about to go off on a tagent about the issue of "Blowing Up Reviews"
which I just read about, but I will save that for another posting.

Hope to see some of you in Chicago in April!

Daniel Gundlach
Washington, NJ