Subject: Wilson's Reaction
From: Mitchell Weitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:39:04 +0000

Today's New York Times has an interview with Robert Wilson about the
audience's reaction to his new LOHENGRIN.  The interview was
conducted by Mel Gussow -- one of the Met's theater critics --
and who comes across as being on Wilson's side. My favorite paragraph
in the interview is:

"Wilson said that standing on the stage, struck by a wave of
derision, he thought, 'Wow!' wondering what had provoked such a
visceral response. As he said: 'I didn't do anything so radical. I
didn't ask the singers to sing upside down.' "

Elsewhere, Gussow says that Wilson wanted to make the singers
comfortable "at all costs." Gussow also says that Wilson is
accustomed to criticism, but the reception at the Met was "excessive
and rude."  (In neither of these instances does Gussow quote Wilson,
or attribute these comments to him, so it isn't clear whether the
ideas are Gussow's or Wilson's.)

The article is on the WWW at:

http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/arts/wilson-opera.html

Mitchell Weitz