Subject: Time travel in Opera
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:10:28 -0500

Robert T Jones writes:
>Incidentally, time travel is a subject notably missing in Opera. I can't
>imagine why. In fact, the only one that comes to mind is PETER IBBETSON. Are
>there others? (MAKROPULOS hints at it, but it's not the same thing.)

I am amazewd at my friend Robert T, Jones--surely Mr. Broucek in Janacek's
opera travels back in time to the Hussite era, even if only in a
beer-induced dream.

In Philip Glass' THE VOYAGE there is a segment in which a space traveller
goes back in time to confront a primitive civilization.

Bill Fregosi

William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator for Theater Arts       Ph: (617) 253-0862
Massachusetts Institute of Technology        FAX:(617) 258-7149
Building E33   77 Massachusetts Avenue       E-Mail:[log in to unmask] (office)
Cambridge, MA  02139                                [log in to unmask] (home)

    I live through risk.  Without risk, there is no art. You should always
    be on the edge of a cliff about to fall down and break your neck.

                                                     Carlos Fuentes