Subject: Re: Dorothy Kirsten (was Post-War Butterfly)
From: SChapman96 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:35:20 EST

<<A dear friend of mine attended the first Met Butterfly after the end of WWII
(the opera having been shelved during the conflict for obvious reasons) and
she insists that Sayao was the Butterfly.  I know, of course, that Sayao never
sang Butterfly anywhere, but I do not know WHO the Butterfly in question
actually was.  Probably Dorothy Kirsten or Licia, but I don't know for sure.
Does anyone out there know?>>

Dorothy Kirsten's scheduled Madama Butterfly debut at the Met was 12/28/46.
However she substituted for Licia on 11/14/46.  She performed Butterfly in
Chicago and Mexico City prior to her Met debut.