Subject: "Time and Again" (was Re: opera in the movies)
From: Robert T Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:23:39 -0500

Writes Philip van Lidth de Jeude
>It seems to me that there is a movie in which a time traveler goes back in
>time to the NYC of the 1870s and observes the first meeting of the project
>leader's parents in the lobby of the old Metropolitan Opera, but I forget the
>title of this movie.  Eventually, in order to stop the project leader's plans
>to change the course of history, he returns to that time again and prevents
>the meeting, thereby stranding himself in the past for the rest of his life.
>I had first read the book on which this is based.  Was it perhaps TIME AND
>AGAIN?

Philip...
You've got a number of facts screwed up there, but it does sound to me like
TIME AND AGAIN (by Jack Finney), one of my very favorite books of all time.
In the book, the time-travelling hero goes back to 1880s NYC and interferes
with the meeting of the young couple who will eventually become the
grandparents of the villain. The meeting occurs in the lobby of a theater
on, I believe, 14th Street, possibly the Academy of Music. And all he has to
do is ask a young man for a light, thus distracting his attention from the
young woman he otherwise would meet and finally marry. After many dashes
back and forth between 1880 and the present, Our Hero finally halts the time
travel project and settles down in 1880. I don't recall any opera in the
story at all, but if I were making it into a film there damn well WOULD be,
which is probabgly why I'm not making movies for a living. TIME AND AGAIN
has won a lot of fans and there have been many announcement that it would be
made into a film (I think the Robert Redford bunch was pretty passionate
about it), but so far nothing has happened.

Incidentally, time travel is a subject notably missing in Opera. I can't
imagine why. In fact, the only one that comes to mind is PETER IBBETSON. Are
there others? (MAKROPULOS hints at it, but it's not the same thing.)

---Robert T. Jones ([log in to unmask])

        "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
         You must be mad or you wouldn't have come here."
                (The Cheshire Cat)