Subject: Re: Hastings in Opera News article
From: Steffen-Peter Gliese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:27:00 +0100

>Dear Charlie and list,
>
>I have stayed out of much of the discussions lately, for once living the
good life of a lurker - but THIS I have to respond to.
>There is no real connection between the singing style of those mentioned
and the belcanto style, except for the very obvious examples of Callas,
Gencer, Bruson, and Cappucilli. And the Italian belcanto is hardly what is
missing today, just look at the names in Kati's report from Gruberova's
SEMIRAMIDE concert. But the lyrico-spinto and robusto voices are not as many
as yesteryear, mostly I think because singers are more cautious to not
strain their voices as they are heard doing in almost every broadcast from
the Met nowadays and then. I am beginning to doubt, if Americans ever are
exposed to the kind of performance, which calls for the acting and vocal
skills of real singer-actors. When did you last hear a singer just letting
out a natural sound without artificial support? I heard Mariella Devia in
Genova...

Stefano in Danimarca

aka
Steffen-Peter Gliese