Subject: Re: Hastings in Opera News article
From: William D Kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:51:27 -0500

"CHARLES H. HANDELMAN" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>He also highlights such great Verdi stylists as Bergonzi,Bruson,
>Cappuccilli, and of course Callas.
(snip)
>I am glad he makes note of the so-called "provincial" singing of
>Lando Bartolini and Giovanna Casolla
(snip)
>So,take a look at the article and let us all know your thoughts.
>I would also ask you who,of today's singers,would represent the best
>examples of the Italian tradition.

I'm not sure why Charlie left him out, since he's mentioned quite
prominently in Hasting's article (in fact, I think that there's more ink
on him than on anyone else), but how about Giuseppe Sabbatini?  I'm no
Sabbatini maven, since I've only heard him in a few broadcast odds and
ends, but what I've heard sounds handsome and stylish, and I note that he
has been reviewed quite positively by many listers, with nary a voice of
dissent (love the new search capability on the WWW - try it!).

So the obvious question is: if he's so good as to feature prominently in
an Opera News article about Italian singers, why (again) isn't he singing
at the Met next season?

Bill

William D. Kasimer  ([log in to unmask])
[log in to unmask] (for attachments)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]