Subject: Re: Single Tickets/S.D. Butterfly
From: Nakamura Akira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:33:18 +0900

MDGuenette wrote:

> I must first confess to being a victim of subscriptionitis with regard to
> Upshaw's recital:  the series included recitals by Van Dam, Hendricks and
> Borodina (is she still planning to come, incidentally?) as well as Upshaw,
> and, given the difficult mechanics of buying individual tickets in Los
> Angeles, I decided to kill four birds with one mail order.

Hmmmm.  I have never had any problems with buying individual tickets on
the day of the performance in L.A. and its adjacent areas.  All I had to
do is to call beforehand and get a ticket from Will Call, or just to go
the box office before the performance.  As a matter of fact, Doug and I
bought tickets for the Upshaw recital at the box office of the Dorothy
Chandler an hour before the performance.  Likewise, I bought single
tickets for Hvorostovsky, Schreier, L. Price, Gorchakova & Leiferkus,
etc. in Southern California, often at the last minute, quite easily.
Van Dam's L.A. recital washalf empty, wasn't it?

I often wish that Tokyo were like L.A. in this respect.  Gruberova's 5
recitals in Tokyo were practically sold out in one day.  Hermann Prey's
six Schubert programs in Tokyo last year were also almost full.  Hans
Hotter wrote in his autobiography that he could always sell out recitals
in Japan no matter how often he sang there.  We normally have to call
for hours to get a ticket for classical music recitals and operas, and
quite often "cheap" seats (as those that cost "only" $200, as oppsed to
$500) are sold out by the time our phone calls finally get through).  I
remember calling for a Karajan VSO concert four hours on end (without a
Redial function phone) and for an Ozawa _The Rake's Progress_ (Saito
Kinen at Matsumoto) for three hours IN VAIN.

BTW, Doug and I will go to San Diego to see _Madama Butterfly_.  I had
seen Watanabe Yooko, S.D.'s Cio-Cio-San, sing Marguerite with Raimondi
and Sabbatini, in Tokyo three years ago, and I apparently liked her more
than most people did.  We will be wearing our opera-l pins.
--
Nakamura Akira
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies