Subject: Re: opera and cinema-more details
From: Robert T Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:14:51 -0500

At 08:45 PM 3/17/98 -0200, you wrote:
>Thank you all for your help. Now I need more details about:  Do
>anyone remeber anything about Fitzcarraldo?

Toward the beginning of FITZCARRALDO, Kinski goes to an opera house and
hears Caruso sing "Vesti la giubba." That's when he decides to build an
opera house in the Amazon so Caruso will go and sing there.  The rest of the
film involves the portage of a steamer across the jungle (the real thing
here, no trick photography), not the building of a real theater. The most
moving opera excerpt comes at the end, when Kinski actually gets his troup
of Italian singers, and there they all are on board this little steamship,
standing on the deck and plowing through the Amazon river, belting out "A te
o cara" at the tops of their voices. GREAT film! No opera lover or film
lover can hold his head up without having seen it.

---Robert T. Jones ([log in to unmask])

        "The search for the unique can lead to strange places.
         Taboos -- the things we're not supposed to do -- are
         often the most interesting."  (Philip Glass)