Subject: Misc. - Zeani - Adler - PBS Special
From: Greg and Kathy Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:08:31 +0000

Bergitas here.   When I posted about Elixir,  I forgot to say how much
I enjoyed the Singers Roundtable.  Deborah Voigt and Deborah Polaski
were both thoroughly entertaining - but I was especially interested in
the Madame Butterfly story that John Del Carlo told about how he went
completely blank just before his entrance.   What he neglected to say
is that his unfortunate mishap could not have been more badly timed.
That particular evening,  General Manager Ardis Krainik went around to
every dressing room (including the one I shared with Yamadori) and
implored us in all seriousness to please sing a perfect performance
because they would be taping this one for telecast - and if they had
to make use of more than one performance for the telecast,  the cost
to the Lyric would perhaps triple.   So we were all listening to the
speakers with special interest that evening and could only wonder what
went through Ardis' mind as she watched the wedding scene fall apart.
By the way,  there was also a major problem at the very end with Cio
Cio San's death - it's a long story - so the Bad Luck Leprechaun was
haunting more than Mr. Del Carlo.  And I applaud him for being so
honest in telling that story.  And if he has forgotten this other
facet of the story,  so much the better.

A Lister recently sent me a tape with some Gencer and Zeani on it -
and while I'm not about to join Gencer's fan club  (too many pitch
problems and other rough edges)  I would gladly be an officer for
Zeani's.   What a wonderful musician!  She does absolutely magical
things.  I'm anxious to hear more.

Two questions. . .  First of all,  does anybody know anything about
the PBS special "The Art of Singing: Golden Voices, Silver Screen"
coming up next week.  ?  To quote TV Guide, is employs film clips and
interviews to trace the history of opera singers on film, ironically
beginning with silent pictures. . . Callas, Corelli, Pinza and Pons
are the only singers specifically named. . . and Thomas Hampson is
listed as narrator.  I thought this was probably a watered down
version of the NVC tape "The Art of Singing - Golden Voices of the
Century" - but Hampson isn't the narrator and Lily Pons isn't on that
tape.  So is this PBS special something entirely different?

Secondly,  does anybody on the list have the program for the Adler
Farewell Gala at the San Francisco Opera?  I would love to know what
was sung and in what order.   (I have the Opera News spread which has
pictures and which mentions some repertoire - but I would like to have
more complete info if possible.   Thanks.

Greg Berg   Racine, WI