Subject: Re: Robert Wilson's artistic approach
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:57:11 -0500

At 02:34 PM 3/21/98 -0800, Margaret Harrison wrote:
>The Robert Wilson interview excerpts on today's Met broadcast of
>Lohengrin made me understand why he evokes such strong reactions among
>opera-goers.
>
>(obligatory caveat - I haven't seen the Lohengrin - yet - and I make no
>pre-judgements on whether I'll like his production)
>
>His approach sounds to me anti-performer.  He is having the performers
>produce HIS interpretation of Wagner's work.  I heard nothing from him
>about what any singer might contribute, other than executing his ideas.

Hold on!  Didn't he also say that if he had pre-conceived something and it
didn't work with the particular performer--he would have to alter it.  For
instance, if he had a gesture for Deborah Voit and in rehearsal, it didn't
seem to work for her, he would change it.  Isn't that what he said?

Again, it is possible that your comments might not be excactly the same had
you afforded yourself of the opportunity to see this LOHENGRIN production.
Dan Kessler