Re: What Ever Happened to...Gabriella B

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:58:46 -0800

TEXT/PLAIN

Welcome, Jean. Usually I would reply privately here, but I hope that
I may inspire input from others on this artist.

--- On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 07:57:46 -0800 Jean <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> "There was a Soprano by the name of Gabriella Bassonzote (not at
all sure
> of spelling here). She frequently sang with Caruso. A great match
of
> voices, a soprano I would have thought to see around for many
years. What
> ever happened to her?"

I believe you are thinking of the Italian contralto, Gabriella
Besanzoni. Her recordings were remarkably few, but they are choice.
She did record a complete and unique Carmen which I just finished
digitizing yesterday for a forthcoming CD-ROM. According to 'The
Record of Singing', she died in 1962.

Mike

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com