Subject: Happy Birthdays,mom and Diana
From: "CHARLES H. HANDELMAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:47:25 -0500

   Dear friends,
         Today,March 19th,is the birthday of my two most favorite ladies,
my dear mother,who would have been 92 today,but who passed away in
December, and my dear friend and most favorite singr,Diana Soviero,who will
forever remain ageless (or she will kill me!).
    This will be the first year in which the two ladies will not be able to
exchange telephone greetings,but I will visit mom at the cemetery tomorrow
and will "tell her' in my way that Diana sends her love as she always did
and always will.
      For those of you who do not know Diana's work,let me tell you that I
have always considered her the rare exception to the generqal brand of
singers of this era,more of an artist who follows in the tradition of
Muzio,Favero,and Olivero, and someone who gives 500% of herself every time
she goes onstage. I "discovered' her on March 13,1977 at a City Opera
Boheme,ran backstage like a nut,as I used to with Tebaldi, and when she
told me Tebaldi kissed her when she was a little girl,I realized she had
the blessing of someone who also knew my mother and who was as sweet and
kind as Diana has always been.
      I made her the Boheme tape,which arrived on Mar.19, and that is when
Diana revealed that it was a special birthday present for her,and I told
her it was my mom's birthday as well...so you see,the comradery began way
back then.
  So,to my two beloved "divas" of my life, I wish you both a Happy
Birthday, and may Diana and my mom remain always in my heart as an
inspiration to me,as they have been to others.

                                With love

                                     Charlie