Subject: KATYA/CARMEN
From: Roy Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:15:41 -0600

HI ALL:

(1) Last night's KATYA KABANOVA at the Dallas Opera was a success. From
reports of last night's MET TROVATORE, I'm thankful I was in Dallas.
I cannot add anything more to the eloquent posts of Gordon Young & Gaston
Maurin which praised the production.

Last night was my first exposure to KATYA & Czech opera in general. I
would like to ask some knowledgeable Opera-L'er to enlighten me about
Czech opera history, development, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Thanks!

One question: did Leonie Rysanek ever sing Katya??? That's the voice that
keep springing to my mind that would have been perfect for the role.
Likewise, in her later years, did Leonie ever sing the Mother-in-Law???

(2) Ever since the controversial CARMEN from the MET a few weeks ago,
I've been re-examining the work. I've been listening & comparing two
interpretations of Carmen: Regine Crespin & Christa Ludwig. Could 2
interpretations be so different (Ludwig's is in German!!)?? Yet, they
both are, IMHO, dramatically & vocally valid!!!!

My query is this: tell me about Christa Ludwig's association with Carmen.
Did she sing it often??? Are there any complete recordings, studio or
live, floating around out there or is my Seraphim highlights LP it??? Did
she ever perform the role in French???

Thanks!!

Roy Wood