Subject: Pav, Breslin, Crackpotism
From: Michael Giuseffi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:33:37 -0500

     I have been called a crackpot by a private poster today regarding my
     earlier post regarding Pavarotti's Elisir last night and the
     coincidental lack of objective reviewing of certain artist by the
     Times.

     I have responded to the private poster in kind, but frankly, I always
     loved the Bette Davis role of the crackpot Charlotte Hollis, so today
     I get to play that part.

     Crackpot? I think not. I've already heard this afternoon that Breslin
     has hit the streets with a story that Pavarotti got something caught
     in his throat, that he couldn't dislodge, before the aria. Those that
     were at the Met last night say that the problems started long before
     the aria. Let's see now if this "crackpot" story makes it into
     tomorrow's Times.

     My indignation with this spin is that it allows and gives excuse for,
     less than mediocre performers to be engaged at the Met. With the
     exorbitant prices beig charged for tickets, we should expect top of
     the line casts. My feeling is that with Pavarotti for the past few
     years one is not getting what one paid for.

     Rudolph Bing in a recent rebroadcast interview during an intermission
     spoke about phasing out artists who were clearly past their primes,
     whether THEY thought so or not. Today, the Met seems to be willing to
     milk any opportunity to sell seats, gone is artistic integrity.

     If there is any doubt that the Met can place pressure on the media,
     recall that the Met is one of the TOP FIVE not for profit institutions
     in NYC. This is a huge ($) organization.