Subject: No one does it better!
From: "CHARLES H. HANDELMAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:29:36 -0500

    I am gradually getting back into listening to music again,and today I
put on the 1956 live Traviata with dear Virginia Zeani,veteran of 648
Violettas.I must say that her "Sempre Libera" would now be classified in my
mind as an example of "every possible thing you would want from a given
artist in a given aria." She has the verve, the style,the warmth,the
range,the fioritura,the brilliance,the lows,the highs,you name it. In
particular,the way she attacks, "Ah diletti,sempre nuovi,dee VOLARE,il mio
pensier..." is a perfect example of the youth and the spirit she exudes,
coupled with the brilliance of the chest voice and the luminousness of
tone;well,the lady is just so perfect for me in this aria,that I must place
it with the Olivero "Vissi d'arte," the Milanov "D'amor sull'ali rosee,"
the Gigli "Amor ti vieta," and others that I rank as the greatest singing
of an aria by a singer.
      So what are some of your choices..and perchè???"

    as ever Charlie