Subject: The MET premiere of THE LAST SAVAGE
From: Michael Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:05:40 -0500

The MET premiere of THE LAST SAVAGE was great fun.
Certainly a better opera than "The Most Important
Man".

I have never forgotten the melody of the ensemble
"Ah, how fortune waits in hiding to surprise us".

Lily Chokasian was hysterical as the Maharinee
and she ad lib'ed a line white reading
the stock market quotations, something like:
"AT&T up 40, Metropolitan Opera... down 40"
(One had to have been there!)

How many tunes can we recall from the first
and maybe only hearings of contemporary operas?

I've never forgotten Willie Stark's aria:
"Come back Willie, come back home,
 you've wandered far, you've lost your way."
from just one hearing of Floyd's opera in the
theater.

"Come thou, monarch of the wine";
"Give me some music, music moody food"; and
"Give me my robe, put on my crown"

were three "contagious" pieces that have remained with me since the
premiere of Barber's
Antony and Cleopatra.

Can anyone not involved with the production
hum a tune from Amistad?

MK