Subject: Haunting moments on stage
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:14:57 -0500

Since we've had the thread about haunting moments of singing, how about
single moments on stage which have remained indelibly etched on your
memory?
(Seen onstage, not on TV or video.)

I have three moments which will always remain with me involving (not
surprisingly if you know me) Astrid Varnay.....as Ortud raising her arm
threateningly towards Elsa   at the end of the second act and making
everyone else onstage disappear.
As Bruennhilde replying to Hagen's "Rache an Siegfried" with the words "An
Siegrfried, du?" with more layers of meaning than most get out of the whole
role. And then Nilsson as Elektra standing straddled over Klytemestra
saying "Dann wirst du nicht mehr traeumen!" and bending over with her hands
ready to strangle her on the spot and Varnay, lying flat pn the ground
under her feet turning on her side and howling like a wolf!
Nilsson letting rip at the end of Salome and the orchestra trying
desperately to be heard too.
Albanese as Manon Lescaut, ripping herself free of the guards, falling on
the ground and holding on to Des Grieux's legs, and the guards pulling her
away kicking and biting!
Resnik dying of shock in Pique Dame.
Anita Salta, a soprano who sang in Augsburg as Katarina Ismaelova, her
father-in-law had just whipped her lover before her eyes, and said "I'm
hungry, what is there to eat" and she looking at him with a look of hate to
freeze your blood and saying..."There are still mushrooms...."
Hans Hotter sitting at a desk during "Ella giammai m'amo" doing absolutely
nothing, except being Phillip.
Kurt Boehme  t the end of the second act of Rosenkavalier, and letting the
final low E turn into the filthiest laugh in history and letting the
champagne roll into his open throat.
I'm sure there are others, but these come to mind.
David Geary