Subject: Britten and Paedophilia
From: MCG&WSM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Sep 1997 19:10:38 +0100

Frank Hamilton writes:

>I think we should all give Britten the benefit of the doubt.

>I don't think that Scotland Yard or any police organization of
>Britten's time was a yard-stick to measure anything factual,
>except perhaps their own (organization's) crimes against humanity.

No.  I wish there *were* some doubt, but there is none.  I'm not going to
name names here under any circumstances, but what was involved was the
systematic abuse of ten-to-twelve-year-old boys, one of whom subsequently
became fairly well known as a singer.  Another, rather less fortunate,
wound up in six pieces in two suitcases.  Waving the shroud of Alan Turing
in this instance is, I'm afraid, as wrong as invoking Dachau against the
police who arrested Peter Kurten.  The paedophile ring in question had
links to the Kray twins and eventually erupted in a chain of appalling
murders.  Attempting to suppress this sort of thing hardly qualifies as a
"crime against humanity" - quite the reverse.

Bill Murphy