Subject: Ludicrous Premise
From: Rick Teller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:55:43 EST

In a review in the July 1997 BBC Music Magazine, Christopher Wood writes,
"As often in opera, a ludicrous premise inspires transcendent music..."

OK, we've probably done this before, but it's summer.  An opportunity for us
to share our favorite examples of music so gorgeous that it overcomes even
the most outlandish demands of the librettist.

The last act of Figaro?  Manon in Louisiana?  Ziggy singing for twenty
minutes with a spear in his back before expiring?  The genre does demand an
unusual ability to suspend disbelief, doesn't it?

Rick Teller
Archivist & Asst. Librarian
The Williston Northampton School
Easthampton, MA 01027