Subject: Chailly and opera/Merritt and Wagner
From: Colin Brace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Jul 1997 16:04:57 +0200

On 06/30/97 at 10:25 PM, Janos_Gereben <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>About the Chailly question: I meant has he been doing opera?

For sometime now, Chailly has been conducting one opera every other year
at De Nederlandse Opera with the Concertgebouworkest, of which, as I am
sure you are all aware, he succeeded Haitink nearly a decade ago as head
honcho. In 1996 it was Falstaff; in May of 1998 it will be Tosca, with
Catherine Malfitano and Bryn Terfel.

(As an aside: listers may be interested to know that the
Concertgebouworkest is required under the terms of its government
subsidy to avail its services for one Nederlandse Opera production per
year. In past years, in addition to Chailly, Harnoncourt has also
conducted this orchestra in a number of opera productions.)

I, for one, am more than slightly depressed at the prospect of this once
prominent operatic conductor, one of the world's best orchestras,
stellar soloists like Terfel, and the substantial technical resources of
one of Europe's better-equipped opera companies marshalling their
collective efforts for that "shabby little shocker."

Others, no doubt, will be of a different opinion...

I have no idea whether Chailly does other opera outside of this. My
impression is very little, if any.

On a (slightly) related note:

One or two listers recently commented on the foolhardiness of F. Araiza
taking on Wagner. As I was typing the above, I noticed that Chris
Merritt is slated to sing Loge in Reingold here in September. Would
anyone care to speculate on whether Merritt is at all suited for this
role?

--
Colin Brace <[log in to unmask]>
Amsterdam