Subject: Madama Butterfly
From: "Ronald F. Land" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:20:10 -0400

Good Morning List -

I'm not going to go anywhere near the authenticity (?) question of
Butterfly - however, my question is - was anyone else disturbed by the
ending with Butterfly ALIVE (!) in Pinkerton's arms.

I must admit, even though I have prepared this opera over twenty times -
other than Scotto at the Met, I really haven't seen it that much.
However, I think it is pivotal that she hears her name called while she
is taking her last breath, but expires before Pinkerton can arrive.
This only compounds her grief - hearing him call, wondering if she acted
too hastily, thinking he returned for her with a change of heart...but
no - death.  Plus, I think it leaves sniveling Pinkerton off the hook -
he should arrive to find te mother of his child DEAD.

Having prepared a Butterfly that had a real geisha on the directing
staff, I was glad however, to see the ritual hara-kiri, rather than the
oh-so-Italian throat slashing and scarf.

Comments?

Regards, as always

Ron