Subject: Madama Butterfly
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Jul 1997 07:40:50 +0000

Hello everybody -

I watched the film last night and thought it was very beautiful
from beginning to end.  I won't criticize the singing except to
say that the baritone was very dry voiced.  For the rest, they
negotiated the music just fine if not superlatively.  And the
"Dormi amor mio" was about as good as you'll ever hear.

I think those who are trashing this production are missing some-
thing very important.  The child!  He was spectacular, and the
way he and Cio Cio San played their scenes together was as heart-
breaking as I have ever seen.  If great vocalism is your bag this
wasn't for you.  If terrific interplay among the characters is,
you won't do better than to spend two hours in front of the tube.
I doubt that you'll disagree.  And the scenes with the kid are
truly memorable.

A footnote, sorry to be politically incorrect, but I think that if
you can find the right actors and singers to play the roles, casting
to ethnic type is just fine and in the case of a film like this
in which great singing is not the whole point, lends a great deal
to the drama.  Enough!

Cheers!

Bobolink