Subject: PAVAROTTI-VIENNA: FOLLOW-UP
From: Giorgio Migliavacca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Jul 1997 18:35:22 -0400

>From the desk of GIORGIO MIGLIAVACCA (British Virgin Islands)

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
`````````

PAVAROTTI --  VIENNA CONTROVERSY CONTINUES

Luciano plans to lose 100 pounds -- Nicoletta is not pregnant

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
```````````

"Why has Vienna's Staatsoper superintendent, Ioan Holender, said he doesn't
not want me any more? I would like to know it myself. I am always happy to
go to Vienna, but there they don't have rehersals and it's difficult to
reach an agreement. I like to go on stage when the cast is well acquainted
and all is well. May be Holender is fed up with this posture."
This is comment  made by Luciano Pavarotti in a recent interview published
by Corriere della Sera, today (7 July 1997).
Last week (3 July) Corriere  quoted Holender in remarks made to the Austrian
daily "Kurier".
"[as far as Vienna is concerned] Pavarotti's career has come honourably to a
conclusion, that is to say we will never invite him here again," Holender
was quoted as saying.
The Kurier did not give any explanation of the stunning remarks, but added
that the Staatsoper "has informed the illustrious tenors [such as Carreras]
that they are not compelled to sing in Vienna if they don't want to".
According to information disseminated on the  internet Opera-L list  by
Viennese lister Dr Hubert Partl, "Pavarotti cancelled one of his Andrea
Chenier performances last fall on very short notice....and soon after that
(not very successful) series of Cheniers told that he would not sing opera
any more in Vienna but only concerts. Carreras cancelled Fedore performances
a few day ago, declaring himself ill, but singing in a 3-Tenors concert the
same week. Holender therefore told in several interviews that if these
singers do not want to sing in Vienna, he will not try to change their minds."
Meanwhile Pavarotti has told Corriere that his  biggest ambition is to lose
60 pounds. "I have already shed forty," he said.
Asked if he had any regrets in his career: "Two to be exact: not to have
recorded Cavalleria with Maria Callas, and secondly to have never worked
under Giorgio Streheler's direction."
And about ending his career: "I  said that I would retire in 2001 -- Have
I?" he said laughingly. "Now that I think about it, [to be accurate] I said
that perhaps I may consider retiring...."
What about a career in politics, asked Corriere's Valerio Cappelli:
"Politics is not for opera singers".
Next Sunday Pavarotti is expected to be in Barcelona, Spain, for another
3-tenors concert.
"Will Carreras be there?" La Stampa (7 July) asked Pavarotti: "Of course,
Carreras has canceled two concerts of his German tour to be in better form
for Barcelona, which is his hometown."
Pavarotti  also told La Stampa he would  at some point consider becoming an
opera house director, if the offer is made to him.
La Stampa  asked when he plans  to retire, and Pavarotti  had this to say:
"I hope, first of all, that that day is not in the near future, however and
in the event I would become a (vocal)  teacher because for me it's like a
call. Before I became an opera singer I was  a primary school teacher and I
remember how to teach to the young boys."
Is there a role you would love to sing? asked La Stampa: "I am preparing to
sing Calaf next September at the Met, up to now I have never sang  Calaf  in
a theatre, only on record; my real ambition however is to lose 60 pounds."
His companion, Nicoletta Mantovani has a different wish, to have a baby:
"But if I say it, the newspapers will print that I am (already) pregnant".
In a similar quote published today by La Repubblica, Nicoletta  adds that it
is not true that she is pregnant. She finished her university studies two
months ago and now she is a Doctor in Natural Sciences.
La Repubblica discloses that the 3-Tenors are trying to organise a concert
in Brazil. And back to the Vienna controversy;  Pavarotti says he does not
have solid evidence: "I also would like to know what's the matter, but we
are negotiating and I believe the problems lies in the rehearsals which I
demand but they won't [make such a concession] ."
For those concerned with Pavarotti's waist, it becomes clear from La
Repubblica that he has already shed 40 pounds but plans to lose an
additional 60 [Giorgio's comment....I don't advise him to, at his age a
drastic loss of weight can bring out complications that  may otherwise never
affect one's health -- he should not try to imitate Nicoletta's wasp waist,
it's too dangerous....more troublesome  than Calaf for sure!]
To the Corriere he said he is  a money-making machine. "They say that the
3-Tenors is a 'mint', do they? Not too bad, but no one works without some
remuneration, and we have fun and raise a lot of money for worthy causes.
How will I be remembered? As someone who has divulged this form of art
[opera], one who has helped music."

 e-mail  [log in to unmask]

GIORGIO MIGLIAVACCA
P.O. BOX 704
ROAD TOWN - TORTOLA
BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS - West Indies

GIORGIO MIGLIAVACCA
RUSHIT BOX 11156
ST THOMAS VI
00801-4156 USA

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Co' fanciulli e coi dementi
Spesso giova il simular

With children and demented people
It is often best to pretend

[Rigoletto, Act II]

Winston Churchill was once asked if he knew where
the British Virgin Islands were: "I have no idea," he said
"but I should think they are as far as possible from
the Isle of Man".