Subject: Re: The Bastille Manon
From: John Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Jul 1997 10:25:56 -0700

Mike:

You ARE hard to please, my friend. I will acknowledge your comments
about Bertini's conducting (the focus of my report was on the Internet
radio reception rather than the details of the performance), which was
too brisk and driven. I find less agreement with your reaction to Leech
- his was not a French performance, but seemed to me perfectly within
the norm of the approach of Italian tenors to the Massenet roles.  As
for Fleming, I stand by what I heard and said.

Regards, John Carr