Subject: Cossotto/Tucker/Price/Meist.
From: "CHARLES H. HANDELMAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Jul 1997 12:57:42 EDT

 Hi all,
  Hope you had a Fourth filled with fireworks. Some miscellany from me:
   There is a Mastersingers (maybe in English) on Cable TV Channel 75 (CUNY TV)
tonight at 9:00..I do not know what channel it is in the city..Queens has it on
75. I do not know what perf.it is..but worth a look.

  I did a second post on Tucker in response to others commenting on my post. I
never saw it.Did it come up??If it is lost,then nothing I can do since I did not
keep it.If anyone has it,let me know.Grazie. By the way,some "person" on another
serve said that Tucker was just "Okay." I wonder where that leaves Jerry
Hadley???

Spain w. Scotto,Taddei.It is wonderful (Video concert performance).She was
58..Scotto 60, and Taddei about 79..Marvelous perf. Cossotto may still be
singing,but in the later yrs.the top got flat. She was a most unusual singer in
her earlier days. On the older DGG recordings she sounds like "Minnie Mouse" and
SUDDENLY she developed this phenomenal chest voice and in the house sounded like
she had a treble control in her throat..amazing sound and her Ebolis,Amnerises,
Santuzzas, and Azucenas were fabulous!!!!! It was unusual in that recordings
never captured what she was live. She and Verrett were the best Ebolis I ever
heard.
   She is not especially "beloved" by her colleagues as I am told..but look,
Zinka may have made that Leontyne crack...not the nicest thing to say, although
she was right on in many ways.
 Speaking of that crack,some posts have questioned the "racial nature" of the
"Bess remark." Resnik once told me she had a lengthy discussion with the great
Dorothy Maynor on the nature of the "black voice." This is not a racial
insult..there are evidently some specific qualities in some black sopranos that
are characteristic..perhaps more of you would know more.....also it should be
understood that not thinking,as J.B. Steane does,that Price is THE Verdi soprano
of the century (he never heard of Rosa and Zinka) does not imply a racial
insult.
   As I have stated,Price had a small top and never was able to sing Verdi with
the kind of power I deemed necessary in music other than O Patria Mia and D'amor
sull'alu rosee, which she sang phenomenally. She also developed some totally
unvocal sounds in the low (listen to the Nile scene "E poi morir..e poi morir"
and as years passed she sometimes became a caricature (as in the "My man's gone
now" and the hilarious "Right as rain" album..so she was not beyond reproach. No
one is.
 Let's face it, by now you all know who my "overrated singers" are..but most of
my posts deal with the many many "underrated' ones...too many to mention at the
moment.
   Derek Jeter time..so have a good day.  Charlie