Subject: Concert Performance of MACBETH, ROH 5 July
From: Tobias Abse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Jul 1997 15:16:05 +0100

        Someone was asking about this on the list recently. We were
fortunate enough to obtain tickets at the last minute - I suppose people
had returned theirs when it was announced that it would only be a concert
performance - and the evening may well be described as a triumph over
adversity!
        It began someone inauspiciously, when somone came on to the stage
to make an announcement. I am not surely whether this was Lord Chadlington
himself, in which case the boos and catcalls from the audience were richly
deserved, or an unfortunate underling, in which case they weren't. But in
any case we were all determined not to blame the cast, the orchestra or
Sir Edward Downes for the situation in which they found themselves, and it
turned out to be a splendid PERFORMANCE - i do use that term advisedly, it
wasn't just a recital. (The chorus had scores, but not the principals.) I
think I may have mentioned on the list before my predeliction for
minimalist staging - well, OK, it was a bit too minimalist even for me,
but I found that Anthony Michaels-Moore was very well able to convey all
the nuances of the character of Macbeth - even his horror at the
appearance of Banquo's ghost (which didn't appear, of course!). The Lady
Macbeth was the Hungarian Georgina Luckacs, a newcomer to CG and to the
role - I found her splendid, just the right tone of steely harshness that
you need for such a role.
        As you may know, this was the original, 1847 version of MACBETH.
the major change Verdi made in 1865 was to substitute "La luce langue" for
Lady Macbeth's aria "Trionfai" - which was a great improvement, but it was
interesting to hear the original.

        well the trials and tribulations of the Royal Opera House are far
from over - at least we didn't entirely lose MACBETH!!

Dr. Jane Susanna ENNIS
"Cats are Nature's way of telling you that your furniture is too
expensive"