Subject: RealPlayer Plus
From: John Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 5 Jul 1997 13:24:32 -0700

Today for the first time I have listened to a CBC Saturday at the Opera
broadcast on the RealPlayer Plus which I downloaded to my PC from
RealPlayer Audio's website several months ago and upgraded (for $29) to
the RealPlayer Plus player about two week ago.  Today's treat is the
Bastille Opera's new Manon with Renee Fleming, Richard Leech amd <ichel
Senechal, Gary Bertoni conducting.

Realtime live audio over the internet is not without its problems - at
its best, however, it nearly matches what I can get over a regular radio
broadcast with my FM system. Certainly this Manon broadcast has not been
inferior in quality to typical Met broadcasts.  As for musical values,
Renee is simply stunning; Beverly Sills has always been my favorite in
this role, and I would still say that I still prefer her marginally for
the  special timbre of her voice, but this is drop dead gorgeous singing
from Renee. SFO apparently is to get her in Strauss roles only over the
next few years. I'm not complaining about that, but it would be grand to
hear her Manon as well.

NB - CBC is giving away the complete Callas EMI discography in a
promotion over the radio program.

Best to all. John Carr