Subject: new Romophone collection: Ponselle
From: Braden Mechley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:21:22 -0800

Hello all:

I've been listening to the Villa Pace recordings, and I must say that the
previously unreleased takes are mostly unflattering -- the voice sounds
stretched or raw an awful lot of the time.  There are still marvelous
things to be heard, but ...

I also have a question.  Reading of these records in John Steane's THE
GRAND TRADITION, I long ago noted with interest his mention of superb
performances of arias from SUOR ANGELICA and L'ARLESIANA.  Where are these
on the Romophone collection?  Am I (quite literally) missing something?

** Braden Mechley ** [log in to unmask] ** Department of Classics **

     I felt so different from my own family ... I have since read
     biographies of Mozart, Shakespeare, Vlad the Impaler and Mrs
     Thatcher and discovered, to my relief, that they all
     entertained the same scary fantasy ...: "How could a brilliant
     and gorgeous person like me have been born to a stupid old
     boring couple like you?"
                                                -- Dame Edna Everage