Subject: Ponselle
From: BILL ALFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:57:30 PST

        Good morning, Listers:
        After several months away, I've finally restored my connection,
and am enjoying thoroughly reading the joint and several postings.  It's
so very good to hear from Nancy Teague, Mike Richter, Akira, Bob Rideout,
Joe Schallen, and the so many of you from whom I've been able to learn
over the past year.  And thank God Charlie is still kickin' butt along
with the rest of us: some changes are not to be contemplated, much less
desired!
        The sole offering I would make this AM (and deepest apologies to
the List, and particularly to Bob, should I inadvertently duplicate
another's) is to refer to information in the booklet accompanying the
latest (?) compilation of Ponselle on Romophone.  This is a three CD set
covering the 1939 Victor and 1954 'Villa Pace' recordings.  According to
the author David Alexander Terry, the political event at which Ponselle
sang was not the Eisenhower Inauguration, but a 1952 political rally
held in Baltimore.  He neither states, nor do I know of my own personal
knowledge, that she also sang at the Inaugural ceremonies as well.
Personally, I would appreciate it if someone could confirm or deny this
possibility.
        Again, hello to all of you once again: it's great to back with
you.
        Cheers.
        Bill Alford   [log in to unmask]