Subject: Re: your mail(Ortrud)
From: Chris Ischay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:43:46 -0800

I'm not sure who wrote the following:

> > .... Can others think of examples where a really
> > baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad character (evil, not 'baaaaad ' in the street sense of
> > 'attractive outlaw') got some really drop-dead gorgeous singing? Like a
> > Kostelnicka? Or  a H&G Witch?

Opera is full of baaaad people siging gorgeous music.  Of course
whom you consider baaaad is open to debate.  How about Don Giovanni?
Pinkerton?  The Nurse in Die Frau ohne Schatten?  Turandot?  Canio?
Each has a, shall we say, down side.  How about Scarpia?  He's got
some nice tunes, and he's not a very nice guy.

But the real reason for my writing is to oppose the notion of
the Kostelnicka as an evil character.  I don't think she is.  In
fact, I always think of the horrible act she commits as being
motivated by love -- for Jenufa of course, not the baby.  Trying
to get inside the mind of the Kostelnicka and understanding how
she comes to do what she does lends a complexity to the opera that
it deserves.  This is not just another revenge-poison-honor-dagger
job.

Chris Ischay