Subject: Re: Rockwell Blake
From: "Christopher D. Donato" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:39:25 EST

Sunday, March 3, 1997, at 3:00 PM my son and I attended the
Rockwell Blake concert at the Lisner Auditorium in Washington, D. C.
I was surprised to learn that Mr. Blake had not sung in this country
in two years and this concert was and will be his only appearance in
this country for 1997.  I have never heard Mr. Blake in person, but
have always enjoyed his Met broadcast performances and the several
times that I have seen him on TV, particularly the celebration of
Rossini's
200th birthday when he sang the Terra Amica aria from Zelmira.  The first
half
of the program consisted of six or seven Rossini songs and the second
half were Listz songs.  I was not familiar with any of the songs, but
found
them thoroughly enjoyable.  What was amazing was Mr. Blake's command
of his voice.  It is a beautiful instrument with amazing technical
proficiency.
He can move easily between his chest and head voices and appears to
never breathe.  For his encores he sang Mes Amis from Daughter of the
Regiment, Il Mio Tesoro, Beautiful Dreamer and the last act tenor aria
from Barber of Seville that was apparently put back into the opera by
the Met specifically for Mr. Blake.  What glorious singing!  The high C's
were
hit dead on with no waver and a bright ringing tone.  What an idiot I
have
been not to have heard him in person before now.  Backstage he was
very gracious signing autographs.  Someone on the list posted earlier
today or yesterday extolling the contributions of Chris Merritt.  In my
opinion they pale by comparison to the raised public awareness of Bel
Canto
singing that that has been elevated by Mr. Blake's art.  I am very
excited about his talent and wonder what impressions other members
of the list hold about Rockwell Blake?

Chris Donato