Subject: Welitsch by Winner
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Mar 1997 01:57:29 -0500

I was chatting with my friend and colleague at work, Seth Winner.  (He
always seems to be engaged in dubbing even more Toscanini.  Currently he's
engineering the Toscanini material from the Library of Congress for LC and
NYPL.  By the time he's finished, NYPL's "Toscanini Legacy" will have
virtually every recorded moment of the maestro.)

We began by discussing the collective review of the recent Sony issues
which appeared in Sunday's New York Times.  (The article incorrectly
attributed the reissues to Thomas Frost.)

I was very interested to hear what Seth will be doing in the near future.
Apparently most of it will be instrumental music, though a few tidbits will
be of interest to opera fans.

He has been telling me about a joint CD containing the best material of
Lillian Nordica and Olive Fremstad.  But Sony first wants to test the
market with some other historical re-issue.  Thus he will be doing a joint
CD of material by Maggie Teyte and Mary Garden.

Since only some of the recent Sony CDs are engineered by Seth, I asked him
why he doesn't do everything.  He explained that he works on the lacquer
(i.e. disk) material, while others work on material that was recorded on
tape.  For a brief period in the early 1950s, Columbia used BOTH tape and
disks for recording sessions.

Most fascinating was his revelation that he's working on a 2-CD set of
Ljuba Welitsch, including some hitherto unpublished material (Schubert and
Mahler songs).

He also mentioned a few upcoming releases on Pearl of instrumental music.

Bob Kosovsky
Student, PhD Program in Music                   Librarian
Graduate Center                                 Music Division
City University of New York                     The New York Public Library
[log in to unmask]                      [log in to unmask]
                 Listowner, [log in to unmask]
                 Administrivia to:  [log in to unmask]
------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------