Subject: Re: the Dialogues List
From: Nakamura Akira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Mar 1997 23:38:40 +0900

Thanks to an international network of die-hard Gruberova fans, I
received a videtape of Donizetti's _Linda di Chamounix_, taped last year
in Zurich, today.

Edita Gruberova is simply astounding in the video!  I was a bit
apprehensive, because a reliable source, himself Gruberova fan, attneded
one of her Zurich _Linda_ performances, in which she was in poor form.
I am happy to report that she was in excellent form on the night of
telecast.  I was lucky enough to see her sing "O luce di quest'anima"
several times in Japan last year, but seeing her sing the whole role of
Linda in a staged performance is a sheer bliss!  I don't think I am
guilty of pumpkinification of Gruberova.  She is THAT fabulous!  ;-)
Her Act 2 Mad Scene is spectacular in its intensity, technical mastery,
vocal brilliance, and expressivity.

So, will I receive a massive number of posts concerning Sharon Sweet's
Aida once we start receiving posts?  Shudder!!!

(I am cross-posting this to the Dialogues List, so my apologies to those
who receive this twice.)
--
Nakamura Akira
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies