Subject: Baritenors in G&S
From: james devlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:03:16 -0500

A poster said a few days ago (I haven't gotten Opera-L for a bit, thanks
to Internet congestion, or something) that a baritenor only needed a G or
G-sharp to cope with the G&S tenor roles. I thought I would come to the
defense of the G&S tenor, in case no-one else has.

There *are* a few roles in the canon that don't go any higher than A-flat,
but the tenors in H.M.S. PINAFORE, PIRATES OF PENZANCE, PRINCESS IDA and
RUDDIGORE must command a B-flat, while the Duke in PATIENCE has a C-sharp
in the first-act finale, and Captain Fitzbattleaxe in UTOPIA LIMITED is
asked for an "attempted C" (though that's a joke).

That's not to say that any of these parts are demanding in the way (say)
Calaf is, but they do require the genuine article, IMO.

Jim Devlin