Subject: Re: Ponselle in Concert, 1952
From: Micaele Sparacino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Mar 1997 23:04:11 -0500

I have heard the performance of Ponselle and J.C. Thomas at the 1st
Eisenhower innauguration.......It's a real "hoot" !   They sang Stephen
Foster's "Old Folks at Home" (Way down upon the Swanee River), and in what
can only be called a most ravishing and sincere tone, Rosa intones: "Oh!
Darkies, how my heart grows weary, far from the old folks at home."  The
audience loves it......now we're talking 1948, I believe.  Can you imagine
Marilyn Horne singing that song for the 1st Clinton innaug.?  It is a
beautiful song, however.
Respectfully,
Maestrone