Subject: Re: Gaston's requested lists . . . .
From: "Simon, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:15:12 -0500

Gaston Maurin asks for great current singers :

>Who is singing today that has "it"? I have a few nominees, but would
>like to know what others think. Lists, please?

Well, in my view, there is no question that Renee' Fleming may
be at the head of my present list. After listening to an absolutely
incredible live concert from New York's Tully Hall (May, 1996) which
only the other day arrived (thank you John), I was honestly overwhelmed.
The ease of her upper register, the fullness and beauty of her entire
range, including gorgeous lower notes, and the unending legato line
of her timbre really is something that all of us here ought to be aware
of and appreciate. So Gaston, I think I would have to say number 1
on my list is Renee'.

Also up there would be mezzo-sopranos Dolora Zajick and Sonia
Ganassi, and based on the recent Met BALLO broadcast, I would
have to add Deborah Voight. What thrills she carried to Amelia's
music.

There seems to be a lack of y chromosomes in my short list. I have
read great things about baritone Carlo Guelfi, but have not had a
chance to hear him as yet. Roberto Alagna, while being molto
simpatico, I feel ought to take some time out and really get his
technique more dependable. Dmitri Hvorostovsky, while I've not
heard him in person, has knocked my socks off with his Tucker
Gala "Il balen" and a couple of his recordings. Ben Heppner, since
cancelling out of San Francisco's LOHENGRIN, seems to be keeping
a very low profile. I wonder where his career and voice will head.

So be it for my not overly contemplated short list of today's
greats or potentially greats.

Mike Simon   <  [log in to unmask]   >