Subject: Re: Dramatic Sopranos / NILSSON
From: "Simon, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:31:33 -0500

Bill and list-folk :

Bill comments about Birgit Nilsson :

  >One problem that the "tessitura" standard gives me, however, is
  >how does
 >Nilsson fit in?  Simply from the prevailing coloration of the
>sound, to call her a mere Dramatic doesn't seem to tell the whole tale,
>although from the sheer size of the instrument she could hardly fit into
>any other category.  Do I cheat and simply regard her as a 'freak"?   =
 That
>simply feels wrong, not to mention churlish.  Any suggestions?
         =

Birgit Nilsson, for me, is and was an incomparable force of nature
that defied description and categorization. I find her timbre itself to
be extremely ' lyric ', and I believe it was Alrod who recently told
the story that, in her dressing room, winding down after a complete   =
performance with Bohm, gave the Queen of the Night aria a run
for its money.

Isn't that what greatness is all about? These unique qualities and
capabilities that some very rare human beings are able to master
and to then demonstrate, on cue, for the public.

For myself, I don't need to 'pin her down' or define her -- other
than to say and to know that she defined herself - not like
anyone preceeding, nor anyone soon to follow. She is quite
simply (or really, very complexly(?)) Birgit Nilsson.

Yes, we need words and categories and definitions, I suppose,
to communicate with each other, but let's continue to be able
to say, when appropriate, "undefinable and incomparable".

Mike Simon     <  [log in to unmask]    >  =