Subject: Re: Vocal Terms
From: Sara Hedgpeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Mar 1997 13:24:27 -0500

In a message dated 97-03-05 12:38:35 EST, [log in to unmask] (Richard S.
Lappin) writes:

<< I am curious about the term Dramatic Soprano. All Wagneran ones I am sure
are
 that. What about the ones who are singing the Italian operas today first of
 all, and then in the past. My idea would have been Ponselle, Rethberg,
 Milanov, Price for starters. Would Scotto, Tebaldi(late), Dimitrova be
 considered? >>

Okay, since I am a soprano who sings Wagner and Verdi, I'll jump in on this
one...

They German Fach system breaks it down into different flavors of soprano
starting with lyrico-spinto soprano, into which the bulk of the Verdi and
some Puccini roles fall. Next comes the Juegendlich (Young) Dramatisch
Sopran, into which category falls roles such as Agathe in 'Freischuetz',
Donna Anna, Elizabeth, and Sieglinde. Hoch Dramatisch Sopran covers the
heavier (longer/louder/higher) roles in the repertoire, such as Ariadne,
Leonora (Forza), Leonore (Fidelio), Bruennhilde and Turandot.

Many singers move up through the classifications as their bodies and voices
mature. Price and Scotto (the two singers on the list above with whom I'm
most familiar) both started out performing lyric roles and moved to heavier
material as they matured (not always with great success...). I actually would
classify both Price and Scotto as spintos who made forays into different
repertoire.

So there's my $.02. Can't wait to read everyone else's.

Sara