Subject: amazing voice classification
From: KRAHENBUHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Mar 1997 14:32:54 +0100

Dear List,

I had the curiosity to extract the file called VOCAL TERMS, thank you =

very much Bob, it is a great idea to try and summarise vocal =

terminology.

In the file there is a subsection called VOCAL TYPES which is a =

classification of voices following the well-known opera Expert Herr =

Kupferberg. =

There we learn (just to mention sopranos) that a lyric soprano is =

supposed to be light, pleasant and flexible, that coloraturas are =

sopranos, that a leggerio is an italian lyric, that Mimi is a =

favourite spinto role, etc etc =

At the coffee break this morning, and by pure coincidence I had the =

opportunity and honour to talk to Monsieur le Professeur Cuivremont, =

Directeur de Recherche au Laboratoire de Dissection Vocale de =

l'Universite de Beaune (affilie au CNRS).

About the topic, Prof. Cuivremont said:
This classification is amazingly amusing, je dirais meme plus =

amusingly amazing. One could even say it is a potentially misleading =

joke.

So there are Experts who seem to disagree on the topic.

To avoid sterile polemics and clarify the definitions I suggest that =

we define each voice type by listing the corresponding most important =

roles of it's particular repertoire, and add such examples to the =

VOCAL TYPES list.

yves