Subject: Re: Michael Schopper
From: Jack Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:16:44 -0600

I don't know about Michael Schopper's opera background, but several years
ago he sang Schubert's Schoene Muellerin, Winterreise, and Schwanengesang
here in Houston. The programs were spread out over several months and
were presented on our Da Camera series (in the good old days when
Sergiu Luca was its director). The accompanist was Houston's excellent
Brian Connolly. My impressions: Schopper's voice is sizable, but not
attractive. He is experienced with the Schubert and interpreted
adequately, but, of course, a bass voice is far from ideal for most
of the music.
Jack Hall   University of Houston Libraries  [log in to unmask]