Subject: Re: your mail(Ortrud)
From: Tobias Abse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:01:56 +0000

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Don Weightman wrote:

Lovely sounds and bad characters:

> Listened to a '30's LOHENGRIN the other night. The pace did not do wonders
> for my pulse, but the cast was Lehmann, and Melchior and all those folks.
> Anyway, on this listening I was particulalry struck with Marjorie Lawrence
> as Ortrud. Lovely lovely singing. I'm no Wagnerian, and so I write out of
> fathomless ignorance, but I felt some incongruity between the beauty of the
> sound and the ugliness of the sense. Is this loveliness within the usual
> range of Ortruds? Can others think of examples where a really
> baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad character (evil, not 'baaaaad ' in the street sense of
> 'attractive outlaw') got some really drop-dead gorgeous singing? Like a
> Kostelnicka? Or  a H&G Witch?

It's a fascinating question - we (well chiefly Dave Hall and I) have ben
discussing this on the list with reference to Gwynneth Jones' performance
of Ortrud at Covent Garden - which he thought was "dire", but which I
thought was very effective! (We did see it on different nights, so perhaps
she just wasn't in good form when Dave saw it).But what I found effective
was precisely the edge of hardness/roughness she gave to her voice -
because that's what you need for Ortrud, I would have thought - it
wouldn't be so effective dramatically if you had two sopranos producing
ethereal high notes, not for this scene, there has to be a contrast.
        But the actual vocal line itself isn't ugly, is it?
Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
Dr. Jane Susanna ENNIS
"Fortunately, she has not suffered the fate of the many, whom Wagner's
productions have driven into lunatic asylums....."