Subject: O joia! All the years that fit to list...
From: Janos_Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:41:57 -0800

        Tom Kaufman raised the question about documentation
        for the San Francisco Opera's upcoming 75th season
        (*not* anniversary, it's *season*, see below), thinking of
        an update for the Arthur Bloomfield book on the
        first 50 seasons.

        I checked with Kori Lockhart and the news, especially
        for cast-list freaks like us, is good:

Janos,

    There IS a 75th Season book in preparation. It is a coffee-table
thing, with mucho pictures. Chronicle Books, written by Joan
Chatfield-Taylor. Not a complete chronicle, but with a listing of all
operas, 1923-97, in the back. All performances, including tours, and
main casting. I prepared that part and am hoping for no mistakes... :)

    And, by the way, it is not the 75th anniversary but the 75th
SEASON. It was started that way in Merola's days, continued in Adler's
(Fiftieth was in 1972...), so it continues.

    Greetings, Kori

        BTW, is Joan on Opera-L? I vaguely recall seeing her
        name here. In any event: the best of luck making this
        a great book that will sustain (and correct) our many
        memories!

`San Francisco isn't what it used to be,
 and it never was.'  --Herb Caen
Janos Gereben/SF