Subject: Re: Miss Upshaw hits bottom in Boston
From: Nuala Hallinan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:08:43 EST

Celia Sgroi says:

>I, for one, do not have any particular axe to grind with
>Dawn Upshaw, but I'll be darned if I see why there is such a pressing
>need to "reinvent" the Lieder recital. You could dispense with live
>performers all together and play a recording while you project
>appropriate text and pictures. It might be very moving, but it wouldn't be a
>Lieder recital. As we say up along, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Because no matter how much you like a singer or want to hear the voice,
there is something so stilted and artifical and forced about most
recitals. Why do you say, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" Aren't
you the very one who was worrying about the demise of Lieder recitals
not so long ago? (Forgive me if it was not you; I remember it as a
major thread.) Is it so terrible to try and breathe a little life into
them? As to projecting pictures, why not? We're heading into a
multi-media world aren't we, whether we like it or not.

Having said that, I guess I could just as easily rail about gimmicks
and cute taking over the world and fly up to my lofty perch. It's
hard when you can always see two sides to the question. But isn't
it better to bring something fresh to the recital rather than have it
slowly disappear altogether?

Nuala Hallinan (Nu-la)