Subject: Australian Rings
From: "Wayne J. MacPherson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Mar 1996 19:05:32 EST

From:   Ron Burnett, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

Said Wayne (MacPherson), obviously under the influence of
Ringitis:

> and a tour leader from Australia.  (It says in the article
> that Australia is one of the few places where a full Ring
> has never been performed - Ron and others, is this true?).

Not true, Wayne.  And it would be nice if you could set straight
the correspondent who wrote that.

It is true that the Adelaide 1998 Ring will be the first by
an Australian company, but the entire ring was performed twice
in Melbourne and once in Sydney, by a visiting English company,
in 1913.  The company was organised by the Irish impresario
Thomas Quinlan, and produced in conjunction with J. C.
Williamson (a name surely familiar with every Australian
even remotely interested in theatre and music).

Among the singers were Maud Percival Allen as Brunnhilde;
Graham Marr as Gunther; Franz Costa as Siegfried; the American
Robert Parker as Wotan (he also sang the first Australian
Hans Sachs); the Canadian tenor E. C. Hedmont as Loge.

It was an extraordinary season--different operas every night,
one or two matinees a week as well, and went on for weeks
and weeks.  But I think Quinlan's company bankrupted itself
trying to perform no less than 9 Rings all round the world
in the space of 6 months (problems in Canada and New Zealand
thwarted success).  It was called the "All-Red Tour".

Remember, this was 1913, so no reference was being made to
the still-to-come Russian revolution.  It was a play on
Empire (with all BE countries on the map coloured red--
remember those?).

So, kudos a plenty to Adelaide (and they can have the Grand
Prix back as far as I'm concerned--even though I'm at least
2 miles from the track, the whole weekend has been plagued
with a subtle bee-hive buzzing sort of sound) but they are
**NOT** presenting Australia's first Ring.

Ron